Senior Hurling Championship QF: Sean Treacys

posted 10 Apr 2015, 11:13 by Robert Emmetts PRO   [ updated 17 May 2015, 15:28 ]
27th July 2014
Robert Emmetts: 1-8
Sean Treacys: 3-7

After the conclusion of the group games we were drawn to face Sean Treacys in the quarter-final of the senior hurling championship. Despite our earlier defeat to them in Round 1 we were encouraged by our group victories over St Gabriels and Fr Murphys, and entered the match quietly confident of qualifying for the semi-finals. The match soon proved to be a tight and tense affair, with both teams aware of the knock-out status. We got a dream start though, and opened with a goal inside ten mins after a scramble finish by Rory Costello's boot to the net. We put another two points with that from long range Fergus McMahon frees, and after another ten mins Treacys were still scoreless. Defences were on top for both sides and we managed to keep their chances to a minimum but they eventually got on the board with two points, one from a free and one from play. A very low-scoring first half finished with the scoreboard reading 1-2 to 0-2 in our favour.

Treacys pressed hard after the break and quickly won a close-range free, which was easily tapped over. Five minutes later a long looping ball from their midfield got in behind the full back line to the Treacys corner-forward who made no mistake and finished clinically to the back of our net. Having endured a frustrating period up until then, that goal sparked a revival in us and we hit five unanswered points - three frees from Fergus McMahon, and a lovely efficient move from a Cathal Keogh sideline to John Walsh, who delivered to Rory. When Fergus got the last of that burst from a
tight angle to put us three up it seemed that we were set to see out the match. However the game entered stalemate again and our supply of scores dried up. As the clock wound towards 55 minutes disaster struck. The Treacys centre-forward won a ball and ran hard at us down the middle. He had space in front of him as he neared the 21. As the defence ran to meet him he delivered a hand pass overhead to find the corner forward who struck a goal from close range. The teams were now level with 2 minutes to go. A long-range effort soon after saw them go one up, which was quickly followed by a second after a mis-hit clearance. Despite the setback we were still enjoying a lot of possession. However, time was against us and as we searched for a winning goal Treacys shored up their defence. In the dying moments of the match a high Treacys ball into our square spilled loose - their forwards were first to the break and fired their third goal to finally end our challenge. The final whistle sounded a minute later, bringing our 2014 championship ambitions to an end.